Month: December 2016

Sequin Party Pants

Usually, the hubs and I go to a black-tie event for NYE, but this year we have plans that require more casual attire. I wanted to be comfortable, yet still festive, so I made some sequin jogger pants!

img_6365

I used the Anima Pants pattern from Papercut, but I modified the pattern to include a lining by taping the pocket piece to the leg piece before I cut the lining fabric. img_6355For reference, I made an XS, but next time, I’ll make a full seat adjustment because the bum is a little snug. Also, I decided to leave the cuffs off the bottom because I liked the dressier look.
The pocket lining does not show at all because the pocket opening was interfaced with a 1″ strip of fusible and it was understitched.

img_6364

I also thought this style would look awesome with a black velvet or silk satin ribbon going down the side seam like tuxedo pants, but I thought of this too late into the construction process. Maybe next time!

img_6367-1

I bought the rose gold sequin mesh fabric over a year ago from spandex world, and the lining is a sheer, tissue-weight black knit from Joanns. The pocket lining and waistband were cut from scraps from my fabric stash and are a 2-way stretch poly spandex blend. I was planning on using black petersham ribbon for the drawstring, but I haven’t purchased any yet. I wish I would have omitted the buttonholes for the drawstring because I like the pants without it.

This was a relatively quick project, unlike the dress I am drafting now. I can’t wait to share it in a few weeks in the Day and Night Dress Challenge hosted by Elizabeth from Elizabeth Made This. Bloggers create a casual day dress and a black evening dress, and share their results mid-January. For more information, check out Elizabeth’s blog!

Advertisements

Carolyn Pajamas by Closet Case Files

c36eba22-b301-4574-8e14-a59b7461609b

 

These are the warmest, softest pajamas I own. And since they have a collar, I still feel decent enough to answer the door when the doorbell rings unexpectedly.

The “Carolyn Pajamas” pajama pattern is from Closet Case Files. I cut my regular size based on my measurements and made no alterations to the pattern. I used lilac cotton flannel by Robert Kaufman from fabric.com with store-bought white piping. The fabric is thick; I feel like I’m wearing a flannel blanket. Also, I have washed the pjs a couple times now with no signs of pilling!

img_6145

Usually, it is easier to install homemade piping because the store bought variety does not have a 5/8″ seam allowance. I figured out a little hack that makes pre-packaged piping install much easier by using the blind hem foot. Line up your fabric as usual on the 5/8″ line on the throat plate, place the piping under the blind hem foot, and the foot will automatically shift the piping into the correct position. It worked great when I was sewing the piping around curves as well. Bernina does make a piping foot (number 38) that is better suited for this purpose, but the blind hem foot is fine for the occasional piping project.

image

The hand-embroidered monogram was a nice touch that ended up taking as much time to do as the set of pajamas themselves! On the plus side, the monogram is significantly softer than machine embroidery. I traced out a design onto the fabric before cutting using a water-soluble marking pen. I used a padded satin stitch to get the 3D effect on the whole design, and I used an awl to poke holes for the eyelets before embroidering them. Here is a closeup before the pocket was cut out.  Sorry about the stray dog hair.

img_6125

This was another sewing success thanks to Closet Case Files! I want to make at least one more set in flannel so I can stay extra cozy this winter, and maybe one light weight cotton poplin or cotton lawn set with shorts in the spring.

One last shot of Tex, the dog-hair-generator, and me modeling our new flannel attire. I made his jacket too.

img_6133

 

 

 

 

 

Glam Kelly Anorak

img_6218

I love this pattern! I felt like I had struck gold when I finished this jacket, mostly because Heather Lou from Closet Case Files makes such great patterns. The Kelly Anorak is beautifully drafted with great instructions, and my finished garment fits better than anything I could buy ready-made.

I had to shorten the front and back pieces at the waist by 1/2 in because I’m 5’5″ and this pattern is intended for some one slightly taller. Also, I lowered the drawstring placement by about 3/4 in.

img_6202

Don’t look too close, because the drawstring casing on the right side doesn’t perfectly line up with the left when the jacket is zipped, and I didn’t notice until I was installing the hardware. I meticulously and painstakingly marked and double checked the symmetry of the right and left sides before installing the zipper and everything was perfect! However, I think the fabric shifted since I can’t use my walking foot with zippers. I highly recommend hand-basting the zipper before machine sewing so you can ensure the left and right yoke seams, drawstring casing, and pockets stay perfectly aligned!!

I used Robert Kaufman Ventana Twill fabric from fabric.com. When it came in the mail, I worried the fabric wasnt heavy enough. The fabric is approximately 7-8 oz, but now I don’t know if I would sew this jacket with anything thicker. The front facings and zipper flap are all interfaced and heavier fabric might be too bulky (even when grading seams). Also, the armholes are cut high (which I love), but they might be too tight with thick twill or denim. The shiny gold hardware and two-way riri zipper was from pacifictrimming.com.

I already have some plans for my next Kelly and can’t wait to get started! Stay tuned!

img_6203